- Home to more than 50 million people
- Major crops include coffee, tea and cotton
- The average income is $1,400 (USD)
- More than 1 million children in Uganda have lost one or both parents due to HIV/AIDS
Our Uganda internship lasts 4-6 weeks and our interns work at a school, medical clinic and church and also at other locations with Orphan’s Heart sponsored children. We are able to match interns with responsibilities that closely mirror his or her preferred area of ministry. Interns will do home visits, work with Awana programs, lead Bible studies and help with community events. Interns need to be willing to prepare several basic children’s Bible stories and crafts prior to traveling to Uganda. Interns will have the opportunity to enjoy excursions, cultural activities, shopping and sightseeing while in Uganda.
The cost of serving in Uganda is $1,600-$2,000 plus airfare (approximately an additional $2,200 roundtrip from Orlando). These costs cover housing, meals, in-country transportation, interpreters, excursions, insurance, and snacks/bottled water.
Interns stay in Kamonkoli, Uganda at the Hines Uganda Ministries guesthouse. It is located in a gated compound that includes other ministry buildings such as offices and staff housing. There are basic bedrooms with a shared bathroom, kitchen and living area. Beds, sheets, towels, pillows and mosquito nets are provided. The kitchen is stocked with food and snacks, but most meals will be shared in the main orphanage home with the full-time missionary and her children. Wireless Internet is available, but sporadic.
Summer 2018 Session 1 runs May 9 – June 7
Summer 2018 Session 2 runs June 6 – July 19 (Land costs are $2,000 this session due to the longer duration)
How to Apply
All individuals interested in participating in the Orphan’s Heart internship program must complete the following:
- Fill out the Internship Application.
- Send in a minimum of 3 written reference letters of recommendation to Missions@OrphansHeart.org.
- Complete a phone interview with an Orphan’s Heart staff member.
- Complete a background screening and pass a drug test.
- Obtain a note from a medical professional stating you are healthy enough to travel abroad for up to six weeks.
- Complete the Orphan’s Heart Internship Training.