- Home to more than 10 million people
- Major crops include sugar, coffee, and tobacco
- The average income is $5,000 (USD)
- 35% of people live below the poverty line
- Nearly 60,000 people live with the HIV/AIDS virus
Interns will have many opportunities for service during their stay in the Dominican Republic. Some of the ministry opportunities that interns will be involved with include working in the sponsorship program, church/VBS ministry, sports, games, and various community outreaches and trainings. Another part of this internship is providing support to the short-term mission teams that serve alongside our ministry partners. This will help them have an effective week of ministry. Time is set aside for excursions, cultural activities, shopping, and sightseeing. And there are plenty of opportunities to learn and practice Spanish!
The cost of serving in the Dominican Republic is $2,100 plus airfare (approximately an additional $500 roundtrip from Orlando). These costs cover housing, meals, in-country transportation, interpreters, excursions, insurance, and snacks/bottled water.
Intern stay at the Orphan’s Heart apartment in Azua, Dominican Republic. There are shared bedrooms and a kitchen. Beds, sheets, towels and pillows are provided. The kitchen is stocked with food and snacks and wireless Internet is available.
Summer 2018 Session runs June 2 – June 29, 2018
How to Apply
All individuals interested in participating in the Orphan’s Heart internship program must complete the following:
- Fill out the Internship Application.
- Send in a minimum of 3 written reference letters of recommendation to Missions@OrphansHeart.org.
- Complete a phone interview with an Orphan’s Heart staff member.
- Complete a background screening and pass a drug test.
- Obtain a note from a medical professional stating you are healthy enough to travel abroad for up to six weeks.
- Complete the Orphan’s Heart Internship Training.